Some time later this evening, shortly after eight I think, I will have officially survived thirty-three years of life.
I’m not the kind of guy who believes in omens, or the kind to prophetically announce that this will finally be the year that Fink beats the Stomach, but I do honestly believe that things have to change. I am officially a job burnout. One thing I have prided myself on over the years (well, at least after high school) is my work ethic. I go by the following rules:
- A job worth doing is worth doing well.
- A job that pays a decent wage is worth doing.
- If I accept the job for the offered wage, it must be a decent wage.
By those rules, if I take a job for the money they offer, I’m going to do the best job I can. Right now, though, I am just going through the motions, doing enough work to not get yelled at. I am Peter Gibbons. Even worse, I have noticed myself engineering situations with coworkers to properly lower their expectations so that I can do even less work.
Its a bad situation all around, and honestly its not because I care about the company I’m contracted at, it is because at the end of the day I am disappointed in myself. Add to that, I am officially thirty-three pounds overweight. Maybe I need to be putting a little more stock in these omens and signs and stuff.
My general down turn of attitude has also crept into other aspects of my life. I want a new job, but getting a new job takes effort and I’ve been avoiding it. I have at least a dozen unfinished projects around the house that could have easily been finished by now. I’m sure there is more, but I don’t have the energy to do a full self evaluation right now.
So, my goals for thirty-three:
- Stop being a lazy shit and get my work ethic back.
- Stop being a lazy shit and exercise to get my waistline back.
- Stop being a lazy shit and find a new job that engages and excites me.
- Stop being a lazy shit and finish some of these projects around the house.
I’m seeing a theme here… guess its time to stop being a lazy shit.